Re: [CQ-Contest] How many hours do SOAB entrants actually operate?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How many hours do SOAB entrants actually operate?
From: Richard F DiDonna NN3W <richnn3w@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 10:21:36 -0400
On 3/31/2013 10:55 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

I'm not saying that a full 48 hour effort isn't fun and challenging for some, but catering ONLY to the less than 1% who fall into that category seems misdirected to me. What I don't understand is why the categories shouldn't be able accommodate both. I used to do a lot of semi-competitive cycling and many events had different categories for different distances ... 25 miles, 50 miles, and 100 miles all at the same time. It seems to me we could rather easily do the same here.

73,
Dave   AB7E

Because in cycling, the efforts of one cyclist don't necessarily impinge on the efforts on others. By encouraging stations to operate only 24 hours, you will have an effect on how the bands load and the availability of stations during certain periods. I can guarantee you that if stations got to chose to chose a 24 hour operating period, most would chose to operate during daylight hours and would avoid marginal bands as you can't mess up in a 24 hour contest. Look at the scores from this past weekend's CQWPX contest - SOAB stations completely minimized their efforts on 80 and 160 because the ratio of time versus QSOs does not justify being up that late.

I'll also stand in total agreement with other posters who note that creating a new "24 hour" category won't guarantee any victories for non-hard core stations. It will instead mean that certain hard core stations who don't want to do 48 hours, will instead do 24 hours and will knock off the competition.

73 Rich NN3W