Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Contest Operation

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Contest Operation
From: Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 02:34:26 -0500
Well now we're getting somewhere! I think this "up a hill" scenario is a great foundation to help reveal the root in the different viewpoints. But I am having difficulty understanding where to draw the dividing line between "true amateur QSOs" and "pseudo amateur QSOs".

Correct me if I'm wrong Paul, but in the scenario detailed in the message below, where the ham operator is using an amateur-band RF link between his house and the equipment up on the top of the hill, he will be logging true Amateur to Amateur QSOs.

I also assume that if the equipment "control head" could be disconnected from the RX/TX module (like the remote in a car with the VHF/UHF radio installed in the trunk), this would also meet your definition. Do you have any objection if that interconnecting cable were 1,000 feet long? It would make it to the top of the hill with 20 feet to spare.

I am under the understanding that we flip over to a "Non Amateur to Amateur QSO", when I replace the amateur UHF/Microwave link between the house and shack with a commercial unit. Installing a typical commercial RF system that performs the link would create this "problem" because it would be operating outside amateur radio bands. Even though it is performing an identical function, it's not an "Amateur to Amateur QSO" in your view?

What if the ham operator registered and licensed this commercial link as required by the FCC (in the US)? Does that change anything?

We know the house and shack are in line-of-sight of each other so let's substitute a laser based link system. Will contacts be Amateur based QSOs or not? Are laser or light-based paths considered commercial or Amateur links? Even though I'm using a laser, it's getting fuzzy trying to determine whether I'm actually making legitimate Amateur-to-Amateur QSOs or not.

If you say the laser is okay, then the next question is regarding indirect links. For example, maybe the house and shack are not line-of-sight. However, a quarter mile away we find a 15 story commercial building with very shiny metal walls. It can be used as a passive reflector to get around our line-of-sight obstruction. But! You have now introduced a "non-amateur" device within the data path. Would using this reflector yield "Non-Amateur" QSOs, even if all the equipment was amateur band based?

I really am curious where you would draw the line in these scenarios.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN