Re: [CQ-Contest] : Reverse beacon of my own call?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] : Reverse beacon of my own call?
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 20:00:18 -0700

I have several times posted to this reflector that I occasionally use CW Skimmer in Blind Mode, although only in Audio Mode where the only portion of the spectrum that gets displayed is that which falls within my audio passband. I do this in order to make use of the excellent waterfall display in CW Skimmer (best I've seen anywhere) that gives me roughly a 12 second display (horizontal, reading left-to-right) that I can visually decode if I initially miss a character. I've discussed this privately with at least two different members of the CQ Contest Committee, and I have never had anyone tell me that I am violating any rules by doing so. There is absolutely no difference between CW Skimmer in Blind Mode and any other waterfall display except for the better resolution it gives.

The only reservation anyone ever expressed was that I "might be tempted" to switch to normal mode and see callsigns, but opening the cluster feed in N1MM would be just as easy and just as illegal.

73,
Dave   AB7E