Re: [CQ-Contest] : Reverse beacon of my own call?

To: Michael Clarson <wv2zow@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] : Reverse beacon of my own call?
From: iain macdonnell - N6ML <ar@dseven.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 16:24:04 -0700
On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Michael Clarson <wv2zow@gmail.com> wrote:
> At first, to me it seemed ok to use RBN as a propagation, as it is not QSO
> alerting. BUT, QSO alerting is defined in part 2 of the rule  ".....that
> provides call sign or multiplier identification along with
>
> frequency information to the operator".
>  It says nothing about if that information actually alerts one to a
> potential QSO. Using the RBN as a propagation tool IS QSO alerting
> assistance according to the rule -- It provides a call sign (mine), it
> provides multiplier info (not a mult) and frequency info, (My frequency)
>
> Now, if before the contest, I tell a friend I will be on, give a listen, and
> he calls me up calls me up during the contest and says "Hey -- I heard a
> WV2ZOW from New Jersey on 14.025. Is that you?" that would also seem to fall
> under the definition of QSO alerting assistance, and I'd have to switch my
> category to SO Assisted.
>
> Appears the rule needs some work -- perhaps a better definition of QSO
> alerting assistance.

Perhaps ... but I think you're really twisting the words. It seems
clear to me that the *intent* of the rule pertains to informing the
operator about the frequencies of stations that are CQing, which the
operator could then *have QSOs with* for points/multipliers. Having my
own frequency and callsign reported to me is not a *QSO*. I cannot use
the information from a search of my callsign on RBN to produce QSOs,
because it's my frequency, not that of any skimmers that are hearing
me.

73,

    ~iain / N6ML