Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R with Automatic Switching

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R with Automatic Switching
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 05:48:31 -0500
Hi Bob - you might look at <http://pvrc.org/n4zr/Articles/Single%20Tower%20SO2R.pdf>, which was published in NCJ for March 2006. The big departure was my use of largely homebrew hardware (except for the Dunestar 600 bandswitched band-pass filters). In particular, I used W9XT's band decoder boards, at $20 each, which are a very flexible solution for a very nice price.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
For spots, please go to your favorite
ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

In a message dated 11/26/2013 4:26:53 P.M. Central Standard Time, kq2m@kq2m.com writes: Hi, I am using two FT1000MP’s for SO2R and would like to use the band output from the radios to automatically electronically switch all antennas, amps and filters every time I change bands rather than the tiring/inefficient manual “switching by hand” that I have been using for the past 26 years. I would appreciate hearing from SO2R ops what amps, antenna switches, “ boxes” and /or other devices that they use to accomplish this fully automatic switching which would be necessary on both phone and cw. Also, if there is a particular contest logging program that you have found to be especially useful and well-integrated with all of this switching, please tell me as well. Reliability and durability are of paramount importance to me as I do not want failures occurring due to RF, cheap components and/or questionable or short-sighted design issues. I would appreciate any thoughts and experiences with products, vendors and station design either on or off the reflector. Thanks in advance for your help. 73 Bob KQ2M