Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R with Automatic Switching

To: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R with Automatic Switching
From: Rick Tavan N6XI <rtavan@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 20:36:03 -0800
Hi, Bob. For years I've used Top Ten Band Decoders to drive my Dunestar 600
BPFs using the negative (sink) outputs. I was using a manually-controlled
WX0B Six Pak for antenna switching because it gave me maximum flexibility
with my several multi-band antennas. I recently set up for remote operation
and needed antenna switching automation. I wired the positive (driver)
outputs of the left-side decoders through a simple diode matrix to the Six
Pak so the left-hand radio automatically selects the "best" antenna for
each band 160-10. I'm still manually switching the right-hand radio but
I've built the matrix and will soon build the necessary cables so that it
can automatically select the same monoband antennas for 160-40 and the
secondary tribander for 20-10. I'd like to have manual override so the
right-hand radio will still be able to use the 4el SteppIR but haven't
figured that out yet.

I do get some minor RFI evidenced by flashing LEDs on the Six Pak manual
switch but it doesn't mess up the relays. I have severe RFI on 160M but
that's unrelated to the antenna switching. (The 160m antenna is much too
close to the shack.)

My SO2R controller isn't involved in BPF or antenna switching at all
although some can do that. 'Twasn't necessary with my switching.

There are some very interesting custom switching components at
http://www.udcsys.com/. See especially News and Views there. I haven't
deployed these but they look good.

GL, Happy Thanksgivvukah, and 73,

Rick

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Bob Shohet, KQ2M <kq2m@kq2m.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using two FT1000MP’s for SO2R and would like to use the band output
> from the radios to
> automatically electronically switch all antennas, amps and filters every
> time I change bands rather
> than the tiring/inefficient manual “switching by hand” that I have been
> using for the past 26 years.
>
> I would appreciate hearing from SO2R ops what amps, antenna switches,
> “boxes” and /or
> other devices that they use to accomplish this fully automatic switching
> which would be necessary
> on both phone and cw.  Also, if there is a particular contest logging
> program that you have found
> to be especially useful and well-integrated with all of this switching,
> please tell me as well.
>
> Reliability and durability are of paramount importance to me as I do not
> want failures
> occurring due to RF, cheap components and/or questionable or short-sighted
> design issues.
>
> I would appreciate any thoughts and experiences with products, vendors and
> station design
> either on or off the reflector.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> 73