Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R with Automatic Switching

To: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>, CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R with Automatic Switching
From: Prasad VU2PTT <vu2ptt@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 10:02:58 +0530
Bob,

I am relatively new to SO2R - about 2 years ago but went the automated
route using from Day 1 using 3 USB ports on the computer. My SO2R box and
Antenna and decoding and switching are kits that I assembled.

I picked 2 routes for automation - one for the antennas and the other for
the band pass filter switching. This ensured that I could use the Alt-F9
feature of N1MMLogger to cycle between antennas on each band where I had
multiple antennas available.

Radios: IC-746PRO x 2, SB-200 amps

CAT: ICom OPC-478U and another homebrew - uses 2 USB ports on computer

SO2R Interface: YCCC SO2R+ Box using a single USB cable to the computer (Tx
and Rx switching on CW, SSB, RTTY)

Route 1: N1MLogger -> Computer -> YCCC SO2R+ -> KK1L band Decoder -> KK1L
2x6 Antenna Switch for any antenna any radio

Route 2: Radio Band Level Outputs -> Top Ten Bad Decoder x 2 -> ICE 419 BPF
x 2

This has a failure point in that the CAT has to be functional to ensure the
antennas are on the right band as I found out this past weekend when the
CAT on one radio died.