Re: [CQ-Contest] on line scores

To: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] on line scores
From: "Steve, NR4M" <steve@nr4m.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 10:33:56 -0500
...And, in the future will the software send out email alerts when someone
makes a band change, so all competitors in the same class will know.

Strategy is important, and I am NOT in favor of anything that would force me to
reveal what I may, or not be, doing.

Just operate, and amaze everyone, and maybe yourself, with your score at the
end of the contest.

What don't we just give everyone a trophy, just like in childrens soccer?

73 de Steve, NR4M

On Nov 27, 2013, at 8:04, Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> While you may be right that this would be an aid to SOME operators, and will
> act to their benefit... not everyone may agree with you.
>
> Why force it on people who don't wish to do it?
>
> 73
>

> On 11/27/13, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
>
> Dave,
>
> Actually, it could help contestants. N1MM could probe the online
> scoreboard for the same class you are and report back that you are XXXX
> points ahead or XXXX points behind. This could be used as a kick in the
> pants to get moving!
>
> There is value in the scoreboard. It has been a slow sell.
>
> I agree with your other points about online gaming and attempting to
> capture those elements if we have any hopes of converting young people
> to ham radio instead of the internet. An Xbox is far easier to hook up
> than a ham rig and contest worthy antennas.
>
> Mike W0MU
>
> On 11/26/2013 10:59 AM, David Gilbert wrote:
>>
>> I don't think it adds a thing to anyone not actually in the contest.
>> I can't imagine that more than a handful of non-contesters are going
>> to spend any time at all watching a set of numbers increment on their
>> screen.
>>
>> "Re-imagining contesting" is going to require something far more
>> interesting than simply making scores more visible. It's going to
>> require coming up with contest formats that more closely parallel
>> online gaming .... where the action a participant takes directly and
>> in real time impacts the actions and scores of competitors, and where
>> teams of players can collaboratively accomplish something in real time
>> that they couldn't individually. I've pondered this issue at great
>> length and haven't come up with anything yet that works for
>> radiosport, but the model is certainly there. There are more people
>> actively playing EACH of the major online games than there are U.S.
>> amateur radio licensees in total.
>>
>> Dave AB7E
>>

>> On 11/26/2013 9:20 AM, Steve Dyer wrote:
>>> I am super excited about the idea of real-time posting AND scoring.
>>> It would be a tool to attract a lot of very positive attention to
>>> radio sport. A real game changer that would allow us to promote
>>> contesting as the modern, exciting activity it is to a *global*
>>> audience. An audience that expects to see results real-time, not 12
>>> months later. The contest sponsors need to wake up on this one and
>>> make it their #1 priority if they want to survive. They will get a
>>> lot more attention from advertisers and sponsors if they can break
>>> the current mold and re-imagine contesting. Print cycles for dead
>>> tree magazines should not be driving the agenda anymore.
>>>
>>> ...but it's got nothing to do with using Skimmer.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Steve