Re: [CQ-Contest] This IS cheating, right?

To: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] This IS cheating, right?
From: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 22:58:02 +0700
I have stopped caring who is cheating and how.  I play for the fun of a
good run.
With all the ways to cheat or nearly cheat, the scores cease to matter at
all to me.
I put aside most automation.  I know almost no one by their call sign.
I am just happing in my own definition of "contests."
73, Charly

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>wrote:

> Have you ever worked him before?
>
> Is it possible he remembers your call from a previous contest, and
> mistakenly thought you went by Eric not Rick?
>
> I have had that happen, where someone calls me by my full given name, even
> though that's not what I use.
>
> ( I've also seen this happen (in non radio situations) with my daughter...
> her name is Jessie, but there are many people who INSIST her name must be
> Jessica... yes, Jessie is derived from Jessica, but my daughter's name is
> Jessie, and it says so on her birth certificate. )
>
> Now... if neither of these possibilities is true, then we have eliminated
> the benefit of the doubt, and IMHO, if not strictly "cheating" by the
> contest rules, it's certainly less than fully ethical.
>
> 73, ron w3wn

Charly, HS0ZCW