Re: [CQ-Contest] This IS cheating, right?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] This IS cheating, right?
From: "Tonno Vahk" <tonno.vahk@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 22:29:18 +0200
And what part of the CQ160 Rules did this guy really break?

"obviously a cheat"? Are you crazy, guys? There comes another witch hunt.
People not IDing as often as we like - A Cheat, people using cut numbers - A
Cheat. Now people logging QSOs that they think happened - A Cheat!?

No one QSO on our crowded and noisy contest bands is 100% sure ever. There
is always a risk of somebody getting something wrong. There is always
element of guessing and making the best guesses based on information
available from legal databases and our brain. It could not matter less if
the guy in question pulled out the name and state from his brain or
database. He thought he got the exchange while the other guy was actually
asking for repeat at a time. So he thought the QSO was OK and logged it.
Obviously it is very poor operating as in this case he gets a NIL plus
penalty and for his own sake he should have asked for confirmation again.
But even when doing that it would have been totally OK to ask that please
confirm your state being ME rather than just ask the state again. Nothing
wrong in using databases or brain, for god's sake. Logging a QSO is always a
risk and every one of us requires his own confidence level for that. And
this is totally fine.

Talking about guesswork all the RUN ops not confirming the caller is
actually calling them should be DQed as the QSO is not complete, the other
guy did not send the Runners call at all. How did they know for sure they
were called? Well, they don't.

I suggest you guys take a moment to read the rules and take a deep breath
before rushing to hang out those Cheater signs once again (as Chuck also
says that a lot of us are far too quick to pass judgments here). I bet most
people stepping up here have never read the particular contest rules at all.
There continues to be way too much whining and name calling on this
reflector and it really gets disgusting once in a while.

Try to be more open-minded and tolerant for a while (while of course that
goes for me as well regarding tolerating those continuous witch hunts by the
same people over and over again, but enough is enough).

73
Tonno
ES5TV