Re: [CQ-Contest] W/VE contacts from W/VE in ARRL DX

To: n5aw@arrl.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] W/VE contacts from W/VE in ARRL DX
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 13:41:32 -0600 (CST)
Well Marvin, sometimes you can't win.

Many of the "big gun" stations figure it's faster to just work the guy (whether
or not they log it) and keep going.  If you're trying to maximize your rate, I
can see this.  And it avoids an argument from someone who's not familiar with
the contest rules, and thinks that he's trying to do someone a favor... if not
an argument, then a long explanation & discussion.

OTOH, the same individual now calls a little pistol like you, or a squirt gun
like me, who often DOES take the moment to explain, or try to explain.  Even if
we're right to do so... again, remembering that you're dealing with a
non-contester not familiar with the rules or procedures... you now end up with
hurt feelings, or confusion.

And it's not just the DX contest.  I see the same thing every Field Day, where
someone casually operating from home under normal power -- ie, a Class D
station -- tries to contact other Class D stations.  The rules are clear that
Class D are not supposed to work Class D!  Now, do you take 5 minutes to
explain it,or do you just work the guy & worry about it later?  (I usually just
work 'em, since this usually happens after I've gotten home for the night from
the club's FD op, and am just casually handing out a few contacts while I'm
still awake.  Of course, YMMV)

During the weekend, I heard W1AW/7 WA clear as a bell on 10 SSB, a band I
needed him on.  But -- I waited until he had a pause between DX, and I ASKED
the op for a QSO first, since he was calling "CQ CONTEST".  The op seemed
surprised I asked; maybe he didn't realize the contest was North America to DX
/  DX to NA only.  Had he said "no", politely or however, I would have
respected his wishes and moved on.

73