Re: [CQ-Contest] W/VE contacts from W/VE in ARRL DX

To: w1ve@yccc.org
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] W/VE contacts from W/VE in ARRL DX
From: Randy Lake <randyn1kwf@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 06:24:27 -0500
I agree with Gerry. I work anyone and everyone regardless. I heard one OP
at K3LR calling "CQ DX" in his CQ message. This will make the one's that do
not know any better think first before calling. If someone needs the state
then let them call in. I had 3 W/VE Q's out of the 400 or so that I made
this past weekend. The only time that I take time to explain is when a
packet pile shows up from a busted spot. I let them know they are Wkd B4,
finish the exchange and announce my call slow and deliberately.

Randy N1KWF

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 9:41 PM, Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org> wrote:

> I work and log whomever calls.  I know many of the W/VE stations needed
> Vermont on a band.
> It makes non-contesters feel good about what we do, and, it takes much less
> time to work them
> than to explain.
>
> 73, Gerry W1VE
> (@ K2LE/1 for contest)
>

> On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 12:40 PM, Marvin Bloomquist <n5aw@281.com> wrote:
>
> > I get occasional W/VE callers in the ARRL DX contests. Especially on SSB
> it
> > is easy to politely tell these folks we can't work each other in this
> > contest. When I do that they often thank me for telling them. I'm amazed
> > that many of the big guns work these guys as if they count. That just
> > perpetuates the problem and they go off looking for another contact.
> Maybe
> > it is slightly quicker to do that on CW rather than explain we can't work
> > each other but certainly not on phone. All of us benefit if we let these
> > neophytes know they need to be working DX.  Hey - at least they are
> trying
> > to participate rather than sitting out there griping about the
> contesters.
> >
> > Marv N5AW

Randy Lake N1KWF
73 Gunn Rd.