Re: [CQ-Contest] Dual Monitors / Eye Glasses

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dual Monitors / Eye Glasses
From: "Bob, W3IDT" <w3idt@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 19:02:21 -0400
As others have tried to point out: Seeing the monitor(s), keyboard, radio(s), etc., without eye strain is a major human factors issue in contest station design.

Prior to my recent cataract surgery (both eyes), I had two pairs of "progressive" glasses (of various prescriptions) for many decades: one for "distance" - roughly 4 feet to infinity; the other for "nearby", or as Jim, N7US, calls then "office glasses" below. Not cheap, but allowed me to function with normal-like eyesight.

Many people have disliked progressives. The KEY to good progressives is to limit the range of correction; attempting to cover too large a range results in a very limited band of focus to any one distance.

After the surgery, I could not see anything within about 3 feet. So, I once again have a pair of modern "nearby" or "office" progressive glasses. They allow me to see a monitor, keyboard, radio, papers on my desk, etc, all with appropriate correction.

(I also have simple fixed-correction half-size reading glasses for my reading chair. Perfect for book /newspaper distance and for seeing the TV over the top, that is, without correction.)

So, if you usually wear glasses, measure the distance to the farthest object you need to see easily (likely the monitor(s) or antenna selector switches) and to the closest object (likely the keyboard unless you're a real good touch-typist), and take those measurements to your ophthalmologist. Add a little margin of error, and you'll have a great pair of glasses. They work great for dinner parties, too!.

Oh, definitely keep the monitor(s) positioned so you're looking SLIGHTLY down at the main contact entry window; that's were your focus will be most of the time, the various information windows can be higher.

Bob, w3idt

. Robert F. Teitel, W3IDT   .
. W3IDT@arrl.net            .
. W3IDT@comcast.net         .