Re: [CQ-Contest] Size of Dual Monitors

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Size of Dual Monitors
From: Mark N2QT <n2qt@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 10:04:26 -0400
I went for a similar setup.  I do rtty contesting and screen real estate gets
used up fast.
I went for small bezel 21.5 inch led backlit monitors with 1920x1080
resolution.  I have
used  Acer brand, but that was just because they were on sale.  I struggle to
get everything
where I want, and finally added a third monitor for the seldom used windows
like the
packet screen, log, and score summary.  A picture is at
http://www.elecraft.com/PictureGallery/NewPics6/N2QT_Mark_SO2R.jpg

Especially if you use bifocal glasses consider getting single vision computer
glasses.
Measure the distance to the viewing plane and give that to your optician to
ensure things
are right.

Expect to change things after a couple of contests.  I find that being mouse
centric for
clicking callsigns in rtty, I do better with the radios able to both be tuned
with my left hand.
As I say, if you have it wrong it becomes obvious especially in the longer
contests.  I tried
using two mice but couldn't get the hang of it.

I also like having separate arms for the monitors, rather than the dual mounts.
 It let me
turn one monitor to portrait mode to accommodate the waterfall/ bandmap better.
 The arms
also let you swing the monitors out of the way to get to the backs of the
radios.  Having
the operating desk on casters would also be a great idea if you can do that.

Take pictures of your setup after the contest and be sure and keep notes about
how things
worked.  There are sites showing various so2r setups as well as a couple of NCJ
articles
on station ergonomics that are worth reviewing.

The n1mm software I use is better with one computer.  Writelog guys often use
two.  Besides
the integration providing by the logging programs you may like using Synergy
software
from. http://synergy-foss.org.  This allows sharing a mouse and keyboard across
several
networked computers, including between windows pcs and Macs.  I've used this
for so3r
operating.

Mark n2qt