Re: [CQ-Contest] NA Sprint SSB Activity?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NA Sprint SSB Activity?
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 17:49:50 -0400
Shucky durn, I never cease to be amazed at what I can do with my "mighty 5 watts" to an antenna "Proven to be a few dB better than a dummy load buried 6' underground." This antenna is 28 to 40 feet high at the center, a 130 feet dipole, configured as an inverted V, with ends about 10 feet from the ground. It's on "average terrain" fairly level for a mile in all directions. Base elevation is 817 feet above mean sea level. Empirically and anecdotally, I note that when I take the trouble to elevate the center of the antenna to 40 feet, I seem to get better results than at 28 feet.

And, when I get to a higher location - which can be as high as 1050 feet (in the highest "knob" in the county), or even 920 feet (an elevation at which I found myself during the Michigan QSO party in 2014) I note considerably better propagation with a very similar antenna and power. So, as you say, height does matter. I'm sure if I'd find myself at a location high in elevation above mean sea level with a contest grade antenna farm, I'd do even better.

Operating from here in Michigan, at 43 degrees north, is considerably different from my location in SW OH for some 45 years at 39 degrees north.

All of the above are anecdotal observations, I admit, but quite surprising to me

it seems very difficult to "level the playing field." Even the WRTC 2014 contest planners found differences in antenna performance from site to site, and the luck of the draw affected the outcome of that contest to some extent. I don't fully understand the mathematical analyses done for each operating site, but differences of 1.5 dB or more in some directions between the sites, were reported, particularly toward Europe. Did this present a challenge to those with the lower performance, or provide a "boost" for those with a higher scores? Even I noted differences here, on 40 and 80 meters, where antenna orientation should not have had much effect, some of the 1x1's were LOUD on these bands, and others were only moderately loud..

It "probably" would be a good idea to have a "Tri-bander/Wires" category for the ARRL contests, similar to what the CQ contests have. It would give an illusion of a "more level playing field" but there are many other variables to confound the situation. Things like "Height above Mean sea level" and "Height above average terrain" both affect performance. Maybe, asking everyone to call CQ at appointed times (not all at once, but on a randomized basis) and analyzing the results from the Reverse beacon network to get an idea of the effectiveness each contestant's station could be a basis for a multiplier or divider of the total score?

Such an analysis would seem "way too far out." - and too esoteric in practice.

Perhaps we contest ops should stop being myopic, fixated on our small (and seemingly shrinking) sub culture? Perhaps we could spread out amongst the general ham population, proselytize the masses and build support in the next generation? Could this happen? Or, are we all a bunch of olde fogeys who will do nothing except die off in the next 20 to 30 years? I talk up contesting at any chance I get at local radio club meetings, at hamfests, etc. Only a small number of "suckers" errr, newbies are attracted, so maybe my approach is not working. Ideas on how to solicit more newbies?

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time