Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 18 Qualifying

To: Mats Strandberg <sm6lrr@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 18 Qualifying
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 14:13:51 -0700
On 12/03/2014 10:53 AM, Mats Strandberg wrote:

You give a picture that many Americans would be "discouraged" to work
you in case they knew it was the Russian DX Contest?  Would you imagine
many Russians thinking the same way about the American Contest CQWW?

I didn't say this was right or wrong. I'm just telling you that the non-contester American might give out a QSO if begged, but is less likely to give out a QSO if he knows it's a Russian contest.

would not think any Russian contesters at all would think in that
direction. Russian participation in ARRL DX is also much better than
American participation in RDXC, so I maintain my opinion it is good that
excellent contests like WAE and RDXC get global exposure beyond the
"normal" audience.

It might be good, but it is not the current reality. WAE is an Eastern USA and Western Asia-to-Europe contest, and RDXC is a European contest that also draws in Asian Russians. The only extended audience that the WRTC-2018 rules will bring are a few dozen Americans that are competing for a team leader slot. Too bad that RDXC is in the winter, or it would make an ideal contest venue for WRTC-2018, rather than IARU.

73,
Steve, N2IC