[CQ-Contest] AI6V - P49V SK

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] AI6V - P49V SK
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 18:40:53 -0500
I’m saddened to learn that my good friend Carl, AI6V has passed away.

Back in Dayton 1988, in a hallway in the Admiral Benbow Hotel, Carl, AJ6V,
N0AX, W7WA,
K7SS, N6IG, W6OAT, N7NG, WA7NIN, AI7B and a few other great ops hatched the idea
of a P40V field day operation to beat the CQWW SSB M/M World Record.  These
gents approached me
and asked if I would be a part of their event, which at that time, was the
first commercially
sponsored contest expedition (ICOM, ALPHA and a few others).  I was greatly
honored
to be asked to be a part of this, even more so as I was the ONLY East coast
contester to be asked!

The camaraderie of 20+ great ops and their XYL’s, YL’s and significant others
in the “digs” of what used to be the home of the President of Exxon, was just
incredible!  It was hard work putting up all the antennas and towers in just a
few days
and setting everything up, but it was an amazing experience.  K7SS, AI7B and
myself
set WORLD M/M All-Time HIgh qso totals and mults on 15 on SSB (6,400 q’s before
dupes) and 170+ countries (WITHOUT packet or spotting networks and only paper
logging!).
(No telephone skeds either!)

We beat PJ1B and KP2A in the greatest CQWWSSB M/M battle EVER!

We had so much fun that Carl wanted to do it again on CW.
The Thanksgiving dinner before the contest was memorable!
CW was a last minute affair with only about 8 or 9 ops and we had a lot of
antenna and other problems,
but came close to winning and again set WORLD M/M All-time High qso totals
and mults on 15 (4,500+ q’s and 160+ countries!).  I wound up operating
almost the entire time on 15 as K7SS was helping out on the low bands.  (AI7B
was not there).  On Sunday when we lost the 10 meter op (who was next to me),
I put the 10 and 15 meter radios together, put on both sets of headphones
and operated BOTH 10 and 15  SIMULTANEOUSLY!  It was a mind-blowing experience
to average 130+ q’s on BOTH bands simultaneously!

We didn’t win CW but we did well.  Afterwards I spent a few weeks dupe checking
and collating the paper logs for both contests before submission.

The before, during and after the two contest weekends created a life-time of
personal and radio
memories and some of the happiest times of my life. Many of the guys that I met
and
operated with became life-long friends.  Dan, W7WA became my two-time WRTC
partner.

The most enduring memory that I have of Carl is the moment that he came into
the driveway
near the main house driving a bucket truck with an intense expression and
looking like General Patton!
It was hilarious!

Carl was the driving force and organizer behind this never-before contest
event.  It was an amazing
experience for me in so many ways and remains among the highlights of my
lifetime from happier days.

When I saw Carl at WRTC-2014, I made sure to thank him again for inviting me to
be a part
of this incredible experience in Aruba in 1988.  The picture that I have
attached above is
Carl AI6V, Tine S50A, myself, BA7IO and BA5CW standing together at WRTC-2014.

I will miss you my friend – thank you for the memories and may you rest in
peace.

Condolences to Sue, AI6YL, P49YL and Carl’s family.

VY 73 and 88

Bob KQ2M