Re: [CQ-Contest] check log charlie

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] check log charlie
From: <w2lc@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 16:07:18 +0000
Jim K9YC said "Gee -- how old is your radio, Scott?"  Guess I gotta come clean
here Jim

Well Jim, um, this is a bit embarrassing. For the amusement of everyone. My
main radio is a TS930 and the second radio is a TS-430. No CAT interface on
either. And pleeeease don't any of you tell me it is only $100 to install an
interface card. It's not worth it, not for an old radio.

"Drake TR-4  or Kenwood TS-430S Joe WB9SBD". Joe you're the man! Thanks Joe!
Nothing wrong with an old radio

Yes my TS430 is an old POS compared to ... well actually compared to most
anything, but you know I had 2500 QSO's with it in ARRL DX. I had about 2500
Q's and 4mil points with the TS-930 in CQWW. So how many more QSO's does a new
radio get me? A more pleasant experience perhaps but more QSOs? eh I say
probably not many but maybe a few.

A new radio will probably result in me getting on more and longer though

I used the TS-430 in CQWW in 2014, yes really, you use your head as the filter
with the marginal filters that the 430 has. No big deal I've done it before. I
had a close by lightning strike and the TS-930 apparently took a shot. That is
why I am looking at radios. I needed that push from mother nature I guess.

So Steve N2IC, I have actually been looking at 950's, and other "better"
radios. But THIS reflector has basically scared me away from buying a new
radio. Radios with key clicks, other radios that are 25kHz wide.

I have a contester nearby with one of those radios that is 25kHz wide on CW.
His signal really sucks and it is not from being too close. I am an engineer I
know the difference. What do you tell a guy who has a radio and the signal
totally completely sucks? Maybe the CQ committee will DQ him.

Hmmm. So what radio do I buy? The one with the key clicks or the one that is
25kHz wide?

As for software I use CT. N1MM sorry but no thanks, tried it, not for me. So
I'm thinking CT with some Python code should get me operating frequencies in
the log. SNMP anyone?

So guys ladies what radio?

I'm not into key clicks or wide signals. And even though I am an engineer I am
not into opening up a new radio to fix it before you can operate. Suggestions
on a radio that will work properly straight out of the box?  Price? I'm
flexible but probably not one of those $15k radios

73 Scott W2LC