Re: [CQ-Contest] Credit where credit is due

To: "'Jukka Klemola'" <jpklemola@gmail.com>, "'cq-contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Credit where credit is due
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 17:55:08 -0400
Jukka,

I agree with you that in principle, recording some or all of one's contest
operating, and then reviewing it later, may be of benefit to some, even many,
contesters.

That said, there is a difference between recommending recording, and insisting
on it.

If you want me, as a competitor, to record my operating, then make it
mandatory, write it into the rules, and tell me how it needs to be recorded,
and how long I'd be required to keep it.

And then I will decide whether or not the new rule is onerous enough to keep me
from participating in the contest.

I simply dislike, in principle, a rule that implied something that was not
explicitly required, and threatened penalties for not having something (the
recording) that no where else am I explicitly required to have it.  This can
cause many more problems that it could possibly cure.

And shouldn't the goal of anyone rewriting or updating the rules be to make
them as clear and concise as possible, to avoid the "gray areas" and loopholes?

73, ron w3wn