Re: [CQ-Contest] Credit where credit is due

To: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Credit where credit is due
From: Jukka Klemola <jpklemola@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 01:13:06 +0300
Hei Ron and others on the cq-contest,

> Jukka,
>
> I agree with you that in principle, recording some or all of one's contest
> operating, and then reviewing it later, may be of benefit to some, even
> many, contesters.
>
> That said, there is a difference between recommending recording, and
> insisting on it.
>
> If you want me, as a competitor, to record my operating, then make it
> mandatory, write it into the rules, and tell me how it needs to be
> recorded, and how long I'd be required to keep it.

I suggest those competitors who want to improve their skills to record some
of the contests. It is a great tool to learn how to operate.

About wanting people to record the contests .. well, I just suggest people
to think about recording their own operating. To me, recordings have
provided a lot.

> And then I will decide whether or not the new rule is onerous enough to
> keep me from participating in the contest.

I am saying recording and then reviewing own operating is a good way to
improve many contesting skills, not only call copying capability.

I simply dislike, in principle, a rule that implied something that was not
> explicitly required, and threatened penalties for not having something (the
> recording) that no where else am I explicitly required to have it.  This
> can cause many more problems that it could possibly cure.

> And shouldn't the goal of anyone rewriting or updating the rules be to
> make them as clear and concise as possible, to avoid the "gray areas" and
> loopholes?

Yes. I am sure that is the goal of all contest rule writers.

> 73, ron w3wn

73,
Jukka OH6LI