[CQ-Contest] Distance-Based Scoring

To: "CQ-Contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Distance-Based Scoring
From: Mark <markzl3ab@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 16:40:12 +1200
Hi Ward

Rather than a level playing field which as you note is just about
impossible, for me all discussion about points scoring boils down to one
thing.  Incentivising stations to beam to all parts of the world thereby
making it an all inclusive competition (after all it is called a worldwide
contest).  There is nothing more frustrating in a contest than hearing
stations who cannot hear you because they are not beaming your way and
especially when they are forlornly calling CQ.

One possible way to achieve this could be to allocate bonus points for
working a certain number stations in each region say based on the number of
stations active in the previous years contest. Targets could be announced
in advance and could be tailored to the propagation characteristics of your
region (perhaps you could even split targets in a region e.g. W6 has to
work more Asian stations than W3 and vice versa for Europe).  Another way
might be to increase the points per QSO between various regions.  Whatever
the method (and no doubt there are others I haven't thought of) it would
force stations to learn about propagation to all parts of the world and be
mindful of checking for openings at the most opportune times.  It would
also add to the strategy which I think would be fun.

>From my point of view it would be nice to be able to have a fair crack at
working stations all over the world rather than being a bit part player in
an EU/W1-W3/Caribbean island/North Atlantic island slugfest.

73
Mark ZL3AB