Re: [CQ-Contest] Distance-Based Scoring

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Distance-Based Scoring
From: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 08:42:09 -0500
> I proposed a regional handicap system where each score is adjusted based
> on how well the contesters in his region did compared to all regions. No
> one in the contesting establishment wants to talk about this either, because
> they lose another part of their contesting advantage.
> 73, Jim K9YC

I think mostly they don't want to talk about it because it would be a huge amount of work :-)

Back in 1995 (May 1995 NCJ), I published with K3NA a system for operator rating based on regional comparisons within a category that could be applied over any set of contests. At the time, there weren't the tools or data interfaces to make that system viable. Perhaps the time has come for making a test run of that system or something like it.

73, Ward N0AX