Re: [CQ-Contest] Field Day SO2R

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Field Day SO2R
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 17:54:02 -0300
I'll "field" this one. (see what I did there?)

  VY1AAA is one of Gerry's many VE callsigns. He's a collector of them, much
like myself ! (though I think he has me beat)

(I don't collect them for the sake of collecting them though, I have lived
in a bunch of places out East and got one from a very good friend of mine
who went SK and I carried on with it to keep it and his memory alive.

...nor am I accusing Gerry of collecting per se, but he sure knows how to
pick some really good ones ! WTG Ger!

http://apc-cap.ic.gc.ca/pls/apc_anon/query_amat_cs$.startup

  Best way to search is put in "HULL" for last name..you'll see 6 or 7
entries for Gerry.

Before anyone south of the border gets their knickers in a knot, you have to
understand Industry Canada issues them for life (125 yrs I think the rule
is) and does not ask for them back when you move.   We *do* have to use the
correct one depending on the province we operate from. (ie: in CQWPXCW I
went to NFLD, and used VO1TTT, not VE9AA per the rules.)..no VY1's being
used in Ontario..  We are not exactly hurting for callsigns in most of
Canada.

(For example in VE9, we do not yet even have the VA prefix that exists in
VA1, VA3, VA4, VA5, VA6 and VA7 )

Anyways, I am long winded !

Mike, VE9AA/VO1TTT/VE9MS/VO2DX/VE9SIX/VE1TTT

VY1AAA?  I thought J was VY1JA.  Did he change calls, or did you obtain your

own VY1 call for the op?

73, ron w3wn