Re: [CQ-Contest] High Rate Dual Radio CQing

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] High Rate Dual Radio CQing
From: Eric Gruff <eric@e4consult.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 22:26:31 +0000
Just to add my $0.02 to all these discussions on categories and
assisted/unassisted.

I think for single operator, at least, there should only be categories based on
power. If I'm running SOHP one radio unassisted, I have a much better chance
(based on my experience) in beating an assisted op (also one radio) in the same
power category than I do against SO2R at HP. Yet, if the SO2R op isn't using
assistance, he's lumped in with me as unassisted. I have run both assisted vs
unassisted (one radio) in many contests, and I'm not convinced that packet
spots and the like make a huge difference other than to complete sweeps and
find rare multipliers. From what I can tell, SO2R is a huge advantage, so why
would I have to compete against that category as "unassisted"?

Let's just assume that SO2R, packet use (or not), dual watch receivers, etc.
are all just tools that good ops can use to their advantage. Power categories
are a way to balance things out, but you can argue that we should also have
categories for antennas. At any power level, does an op using a single
multiband dipole or vertical stand any chance against another station with
multiple 100' towers and huge monoband yagis, etc.? Talk about an unfair
competition! I'm not complaining here - I just think most of what we're arguing
over is completely random in the big picture.

73 and see you this weekend (using HP, one radio and a very long inverted vee
antenna, probably with "assistance" from the spotting network).

Eric NC6K