Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Survey results - part 1

To: "n2ic@arrl.net" <n2ic@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Survey results - part 1
From: Maarten van Rossum <pd2r.maarten@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 21:10:03 +0100
Good point Steve, many non native English speakers ask for a repeat when
you read their call back to them in a non-phonetics way. As Dutch guy, we
tend to have more difficulty with the "i", "e" and "a". This is because
when you pronounce the "i" in English, in Dutch it sounds like and "y". The
"a" sounds like an "e" in Dutch and "e" sounds like "i". Needless to say
this can become very confusing.

I have practiced using plain English instead of phonetics a lot and I'm
reasonably good at it. But in the heat of the moment, especially when I'm
getting tired, I sometimes make a mess of things and fall back
to phonetics.

73, Maarten PD2R

Op vrijdag 18 december 2015 heeft Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com> het
volgende geschreven:

> On 12/17/2015 10:56 PM, Kelly Taylor (kind of) wrote:
>
>> Some of the most-common time-wasters among new contesters I hear are:
>>
>> 1. Unnecessarily repeating phonetics. In most cases, you should be able
>> to say “nq6n five nine emm bee”. Only if it’s really challenging or a fill
>> has been requested does it make sense to say “november quebec….” He knows
>> who he is!
>>

> Not necessarily. I run across many situations where the station calling me
> has a weak command of the English language, and doesn't recognize his/her
> call spoken in English. For some stations calling from certain countries, I
> always repeat back the call phonetically, using the same phonetics they
> called me with.
>
> 73,
> Steve, N2IC

73, Maarten PD2R