Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Survey results - part 1

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Survey results - part 1
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 11:09:25 -0800
On Sun,12/20/2015 10:08 AM, Mike Ritz wrote:
In CW and RTTY contests we all know the "TU" at the end is the acknowledgement.

Right. And in contests like the CW Sprints, it's a dit, so that you don't QRM someone trying to call the station you just worked.

The nearest phone equivalent is probably "QSL", or "Good Luck",

The nearest phone equivalent is "Thanks." It's two syllables shorter than QSL.

but I know a lot, if not most of the big contesters acknowledge by moving
quickly on to the next callsign, or they call QRZ after your report, and offer
no acknowledgement.

Or perhaps you don't hear their TU because you're sending something you shouldn't be sending, like your call, or TU, or Merry Christmas, or "good luck in the contest."

I'm not a world class contester, but I'm always trying to get better, and to do the best I can with what I have. I'm not competitive in the big contests, but I have friends who are. I make a point of trying to work them in the big contests they're competing in to qualify for WRTC, or for a seriously competitive score. My objective is simply to give them points as quickly as possible, and without slowing them down.

  OK I get that. That said, I just about always use "Thank you and good luck"
for each phone QSO. Then again, I don't get the huge pileups the Caribbean guys do, and I
am not out for blood either.

During the RAC contest this weekend, a lot of guys sent Merry Christmas or something similar on SSB. At least half a dozen times, they stepped on a VE station who was trying to call me. In RAC, VE stations count 5X non-VE stations, and they're multipliers.

73, Jim K9YC