Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting Popularity

To: "'Joe'" <nss@mwt.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting Popularity
From: "Stephen Bloom" <sbloom@acsalaska.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 09:43:49 -0900
Joe:

This is why I think "Radiosport" is the largest part of the future of the
hobby.  It is what most piques the interest of the younger "nerd set"
...especially for digital modes.  It is a good fit for hacking culture
...they are competitive by nature etc.  They even start with a rudimentary
grasp of the way we pass the information back and forth (txt msg convo srsly
like cw or rtty q) :)

One thing to know btw ..is the bands seeming dead outside of contest time
can be a function of where you live and what type of antennas you have.
Even outside of a contest ..if you are in the Caribbean or Europe ..you will
almost never find the bands dead.  In the U.S.  HF Amateur Radio is a very
different experience from the West Coast ..vis a vis the East Coast.  What I
have noticed is ..random ragchewing seems to be dying ...and this is true on
both SSB and CW (there never was much on RTTY and the digital modes seem to
be macro exchanges).  You have your nets ...and dx chasing ..and contests.

73
Steve KL7SB