Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Survey Results - part 2

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Survey Results - part 2
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 12:26:47 -0600
Why not change the justice system while we’re at it. Most people charged are
guilty, so let’s dispense with due process… ;=)

If you can prove a bust, remove it. If you can’t prove a bust, you can’t prove
the guy didn’t work the station in question. There’s one member of Radiosport
Manitoba who is so high up on the DXCC Honor Roll, and is primarily interested
in working them all, that unless it’s a P5, he’s unlikely to bat an eye toward
the radio in a DX contest. (He might need one other entity, I can’t recall.) He
will most likely NOT be in ANY OTHER log submitted to organizers.

So it’s very likely that an operator such as he would turn on the radio, find
the P5, work him and then shut down. In a contest such as WW, losing one Zone 4
NA station in Canada is not a big deal. But in a contest such as ARRL DX, that
one VE4 might be the difference between a sweep or not of ARRL sections. Is it
fair to punish stations who may legitimately work stations for whom they are
their only contacts, just because “most unique calls are copying errors?”

At the highest levels of category or regional competitions, is it out of the
question to contact the “unique” and ask? Isn’t that how UT5UGR got caught?

For the rest of the field, outside the Top 10 and regional Top 10 boxes, unless
a station has an inordinate number of uniques worthy of additional examination,
is it really a big deal?

And, if it’s true that “most unique calls are copying errors,” isn’t it likely
stations will receive heavy enough penalties on provable busts that uniques are
a small problem anyway?

73, kelly
ve4xt

(I’m using Steve’s post as an entry to the conversation, not as a rebuttal of
what he said.)