Re: [CQ-Contest] W5WMU experiment in NAQP

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] W5WMU experiment in NAQP
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 03:27:11 -0500
All,

As the founder/originator/creator of the NAQP, I feel compelled to comment on this thread

The NAQP was the brainchild of myself and several other active contesters in the Contest Hospitality Suite at the ARRL National Convention in Lousville, KY in the fall of 1987 as a replacement for the ARRL Open CD Party contest which had been discontinued by the ARRL. At the time, I was the editor of the NCJ, and the ARRL's role as publisher of the NCJ was just on the horizon. Since the NCJ had successfully sponsored the Sprints for over a decade at that point, I saw sponsoring the NAQP as a natural extension of that type of role.

The CD Party rules, which was a single mode contest where dupes were counted by band was a good starting point. However, CD parties were 30 hour periods with ten hours off time and mults counted once overall. The short 4 hour operating period of the Sprint enjoyed considerable popularity, so the period was cut back to 10 hours out of 12 to keep the rate up and avoid running out of people to work. Mults were counted by band to encourage band changing and strategy like a DX contest. The final result was a domestic contest that played somewhat like a DX contest, but yet small to medium stations could be competitive enough to have a good time and you didn't need to be an iron man to compete full time..

The NAQPs were originally full power contests as were the CD Parties. High power helped guys with poor antennas on 160 make QSOs, but it was the high bands where the power helped initially. The early NAQPs in 1988/89 suffered from poor high band condx and high power helped many stations get mults on 10m and 15m by scatter. Since then we've been through another sunspot minimum and we've seen that working hi-band mults on scatter is a lot more difficult with low power.

I think it was 1996 when Bill Fisher, W4AN first floated the idea of making the NAQPs low power contests. There was never any discussion about "leveling the playing field". The low power limit was advocated as a way to differentiate the NAQPs from other contests, and by shedding the outboard amplifiers band agility (to move multipliers) would be simplified and SO2R (which was just coming into its own around that time) would be easier for many stations.

As for the W5WMU experiment, I will offer a quote from another contester (who shall remain anonymous):

"You only have to follow the rules of the contest if you're gonna submit a log for a score"

73, Dave/K8CC