Re: [CQ-Contest] Absurd Rule in NAQP

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Absurd Rule in NAQP
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 07:24:30 -0700
"counter-productive anachronism?"

Hardly !  Activity in the NAQP increases every year.

73,
Steve, N2IC

On 01/16/2016 02:24 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
NAQP does not allow use of spotting assistance on any mode, and
single-ops using assistance are reclassified as Multi-two.  Then,
*because they areMulti-Two, they are required to adhere by the 10-minute
band change rule*.  When I asked one of the organizers, he first said
that they had never thought about it, but after a couple of
back-and-forths, he affirmed that is indeed how it works.

Why should we care?  First of all, because penalizing assisted single-op
participants in this way is a classic example of unintended
consequences.  The band change rule was intended to prevent elaborate
octopus arrangments competing with genuine two transmitter multis, not
to limit single-op band changes.  It prevents assisted entrants from
participating in one of the most fun aspects of NAQP, moving stations
(or being moved)  to maximize the distribution of rare mults.  For
people who operate assisted in other contests, it prevents them from
practicing high-rate assisted search-and-pounce skills unless they are
willing to accept a heavy handicapso far as NAQP competition is concerned.

It's hard for me to understand why NAQP would cling to this antiquated
situation.  The other three contests reclassifying assisted single-op as
multi-op were ARRL 10, ARRL 160, andIARU HF.  All three have now adopted
Single Op Unlimited as a legitimate competitive class. When will NAQP
get rid of this counter-productive anachronism?