Re: [CQ-Contest] Your Call? --> QSY?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Your Call? --> QSY?
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 19:53:58 -0400
Depends on the contest.  I asked Nate, N4YDU in the NC QP last night to "QSY
to SSB" and he was running on 80m CW.  I worked him there on CW, then
listened to him CQ 2-3 times w/ no answers..

Nate is a sharp enough guy that I am pretty sure he knew when I sent "SSB?"
that it was me asking and as a VE9, I was more than likely a mult for him.
For 10-12 seconds of effort, we both had new mults.

Depends on the situation.

Conversely, if it was TK4MH running a huge pileup in CQWW CW, I would never
dream to ask him to QSY.

If I am running and a rare mult calls me, I'll either QSY per their request,
work them on my one radio, (or 2nd radio if I am SO2R)

If I am asked (regardless if Run or S&P) and cannot do it for whatever
reason, I usually just say "SRI" instead of no response.  Seems more polite
and

the stn at least knows I heard them.  Could be any # of reasons a QSY cannot
be made.

Sometimes those same stations will ask me later, and I can do a QSY..whether
they remember, have made a note, or know me, I cannot say, but I do get
asked from time to time depending on the contest and

if I am able, it's as easy as typing the frequency in the callsign box in
N1MM and sometimes rotating an antenna switch.  Sharp ops can be in/out/done
in a matter of 7-10 seconds.  Running LP lately makes this easier as

no amps to fiddle with.

Cheers

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey