Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW madness

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW madness
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 20:13:35 -0700
On Sat,7/23/2016 5:50 PM, Ed Sawyer wrote:
Why are we beating up the CQWW contest? SS and NAQP are not fair either.

Actually, SS and NAQP are relatively competitive between different parts of NA. In SS, PVRC, SMC, and NCCC have each turned in wins in Large Club competitons, and another half dozen or so smaller clubs have done will the Medium and Small club competions. Indeed, it's been largely a matter of motivation of members as to which club wins any given year.

Likewise, top NAQP and NA Sprint scores are spread around, and there's quite healthy competition between teams. NCCC teams often place well in both contests, even beating "ad hoc" teams of top operators all over NA.

IMO, the most unfair element of SS is the number of geographically small sections with relatively little ham activity, most of them located where they're easy to work on 80/75 from W1/2/3. I'm thinking of the four new VE3 sections, RI, and MAR sections. The only section comparable out west is SF; things are better there since K6SRZ moved from Berkeley (EB) to wine country (part of the SF section) when he retired several years ago.

Just advantage those outside W1 and W2 so somehow that makes it okay that
they are unfair.  Same propagation problems and the scoring doesn't offset
it.  And those contest are hardly growing compared to CQWW.  Why not fix
those first, and see how it goes, rather than starting with CQWW which
doesn't look to need fixing according to ant statistics that I see.

The only thing I would do to improve SS is to delete those four VE3 sections and go back to ON. Whether they need the local organization is a different problem. And I wouldn't change NAQP or NA Sprint at all.

I repeat - create a new  contest to solve this issue.

Why? So you and all the guys who have the undeserved reputations as "super operators" don't have their golden throne advantage?

Just make sure you skew the rules enough so that a guy in California with a 50
ft tower and a tribander can win.  Otherwise its not fair right?

BS. Google N6RO and look at his antenna farm. Then consider that top operators at his station cannot be competitive with inferior stations/operators in W1/2/3 in DX contests. I have a far more modest antenna farm, but one that most guys in W1/2/3/4/8/9 would be thrilled with. I would like to be able to at least be in the same contest with comparable operators in comparable stations. So would other guys all over the world.

73, Jim K9YC