Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Madness

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Madness
From: Alan Dewey via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 18:09:21 -0400
Jeff;

Back in 2012 when I was chair, the ARRL CAC did, indeed, look at distance
based scoring for the ARRL DX Contest and ended up NOT recommending that it
be  implemented.  Admittedly, ARRL DX is a different animal than CQWW DX but
 some of the issues being discussed here related to propagation favoring
W1, W2,  and W3 still apply.  We studied this in quite a bit of detail and
even  looked at actual data from past contests.  K1EA helped us rescore them
with  a distance based scoring approach.  There were , indeed, some
differences  in the results.  In general scores in the midwest rose and those
on the
east coast went down somewhat.  In one instance, a W9 went from fifth to
first place.  However, overall, the differences were not as much as we  would
have thought.  At the time, there was quite an outcry from the  contesting
community NOT to implement distance based scoring mainly because  propagation
can be finicky and sometimes make long distance Qs easier to make  than
shorter distance especially on bands like 10 meters when it is open.

The biggest conclusion we arrived at, after over a year of study, was that
the only way things come close to being fair to is to report results by
Region  and that was our biggest recommendations at the time.  I think this was
 what K5ZD and N0AX were alluding to in an earlier post on this thread.

To me, it really comes down to the Top Ten boxes.  If they continue to  be
reported by country in large geographical  countries like the U.S, they
will never be fair and some people will always be bent out of shape.  In my
opinion, regional based scoring has a better chance of making things fair than
 any tweaking we could do with the scoring model.

73,

Al, K0AD

In a message dated 7/23/2016 8:28:43 A.M. Central Daylight Time,