Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW madness

To: Rudy Bakalov <r_bakalov@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW madness
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 07:42:58 -0500
Ok, and what about the other bands 40 is kinda in the middle, but 20,15,10?

Joe WB9SBD
Sig
The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com
On 7/25/2016 4:44 AM, Rudy Bakalov wrote:
The reason local contacts on the low bands are easy us because of the ground wave propagation. That is, signals travel quite far before bouncing off the ionosphere. So if the ground wave propagation zone is, for example, 250 miles, the 1-point zone should be 250 miles.

Conversely, on the upper bands, radio waves don't travel very far before they bounce off the ionosphere. This is why you can't work stations on 10m that are 100 miles away. So, if the skip zone is, for example 200 miles, the 3-point zone should be 200 miles.

For comparison, one grid square is approximately 70 X 100 miles in the USA. So if the ground wave and skip zone distances are greater than 1 grid square the proposed scoring model needs some tweaking.

IMHO, if you want to stay with points based on distance, it may be easier to simply calculate the distance between the two stations and convert it into tiers based on the band. For example, under the assumption that ground wave propagation distance is 250 miles on 160 and 80 m, the 160 and 80 m points could be as follows:

1) For contacts under 250 miles: 1 point

2) For contacts between 250 and 1000 miles: 2 points

3) For contacts over 1000 miles: 3 points

The 2 and 3 point zones really should be related to the number of hops. That is, 2 points for the first hop and 3 points for more than one hop.

Rudy N2WQ

Sent using a tiny keyboard. Please excuse brevity, typos, or inappropriate autocorrect.