Re: [CQ-Contest] New Category Suggestion

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New Category Suggestion
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 07:44:21 -0600
Race car drivers...........They pretty much drive the car that is given to them.

On 9/8/2016 4:55 AM, Rudy Bakalov via CQ-Contest wrote:
There is? Really? Examples?

Why do we care? That is, are contests meant to measure if the operator can
climb a tower, for example? What skills do contests measure?

Where do you start and where do you end in your definition? For example, I
don't have the time to build any of the following myself:

1) Coax patch cables or even the large coax runs
2) Bandpass filters
3) Stacking devices
4) Triplexers
5) Any of the equipment in my shack
6) Any of my antennas, except wire antennas...except an OCF dipole I need for
CQ WW RTTY and don't have the time to build
7) Baluns
8) ...the list goes on

Doesn't this describe the vast majority of contesters? Do you build yourself
everything on the above list?

Do you expect everyone to climb towers?

Do you expect everyone to own all the tools and equipment needed to build a
station, both mechanical, power, and electronic tools?

People win contests because of their operating skills, not because of who built
the station. This is not any different from the majority of sports.

Rudy N2WQ

Sent using a tiny keyboard.  Please excuse brevity, typos, or inappropriate
autocorrect.