Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL 10M Contest or was it cancelled? :^)

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL 10M Contest or was it cancelled? :^)
From: Scott Pederson via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 00:43:57 +0000 (UTC)
I've told this story before - but my first 10m contest was at Western Illinois
University -
 - Never worked a contest before - Kenwood TS-520 clubstation - 80m dipole on
top of one of the campus buildings - Manually tuned to 10m, Radio Shack
straight Key - Paper notebook for our logbook
Myself and Ken KA9RVK, calling CQ in the novice band in 1986..band is
DEAD.Calling CQ, Calling CQ, ....Nothing, not a damn thing.After some
head-scratching and troubleshooting (Yes, we're on the right band, yes the coax
is connected) we figure it's propagation, but forge ahead.An hour into the
contest - 40+S9 signal BOOMS in like gangbusters!!! We wait with anticipation
to see what wonderful DX we have FINALLY caught!! (It is, after all, 5wpm...be
patient)Turns out it's Bud KT9Z - a local ham operating mobile across town.
Our only contact in the 1986 ARRL 10m contest.
 - Scott, KI5DRAustin, TX