Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Revised Rules

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Revised Rules
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 20:28:29 -0400
de Mike VE9AA

I do contests mostly UNassisted.  I like it this way.  The only ones I
(grundingly) do assisted are the handful of ones, mostly Euro based that
make no distinction between assisted and non. (no sense letting others get
ahead of me needlessly if it's something everyone has access to) Oh, and the
occasional State QSO party (same thing, no distinction)

I like the NAQP just the way it is, as I know ALL single ops are UNassisted
!

For the highest scorers, the NAQP is mostly a central and west coast game,
mostly because of the time of day this starts (so I get a taste of how they
feel in a lot of the other contests (CQWW for example) but I don't let that
dissuade me from playing all the same.  I work my guts out to spin the dial,
use my ears and  make my 100,150 or 200k while the Westerners enjoy the
higher bands open much longer.  At this stage in the solar cycle there will
be no 10m, little or no 15m and very little 20m.

It is what it is, and scores ebb and flow with the solar cycle.  I can look
back to the 90's to see what I've done, always knowing I was finding mults
myself, because that's the way this particular contest is setup.  I don't
enter contests that don't interest me (perhaps due to particulars in the
rules pertaining to mults.)  Most of us know what I am referring to ;-)

Please don't change anything !

Mike VE9AA proudly spinning the VFO in "NB"...CU in the Big Stew this
weekend...also UNassisted...no Assisted SO class in this one either !

N2IC  sez:

Mike, (he's talking to W0MU)

These are the same rules that the NAQP has had since packet hit the radar
screen, almost 30 years ago. Nothing in the rules has changed this year
pertaining to your pet peeves. There were no "decisions" made this year,
just extremely minor tweaks and clarifications. Why the sudden awakening now
? Where have you been hiding ?

Where did you get the wild notion "SOA with 5 times more participants" ?
Name me one significant contest that has 5 times as many SOA participants
than SO participants ?

Glad I'm not in charge of any major contests. Wouldn't want to be accused of
bullying because I won't change a rule that has been in effect for 30 years,
while interest in the contest continues to grow, year-by-year.

You are welcome to participate, or not. You can even take your money where
your opinion is, by not subscribing to the NCJ.

73,

Steve, N2IC