Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Revised Rules

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Revised Rules
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 11:21:08 -0800
But that completely changes the nature of NAQP. One of the great things about NAQP is that it IS limited to 100W and discourages cluster use. That allows smaller stations to have a lot more fun, because they're not competing with cluster-generated pileups.

I work contests differently, depending on the contest and how it relates to my QTH. W6 is not competitive in DX contests, so I run QRP with the intent of increasing my band-country count, so I use the cluster. (My country count is 166 worked QRP). In the NA Sprint, I run SO2R at legal limit. In NAQP I run SO2R at 100W, no cluster. I work 160M CW contests QRP, trying to finish WAS (I need VT and SC) and maybe add a country or two. Except for the Stew, I use the cluster.

The guys who started NAQP many years ago established rules that made it the somewhat unique set of contests that it is, and most participants like it the way it is. The statistics you posted yesterday obscured that fact by only looked at M2 data, without comparing those entries to single op.

73, Jim K9YC