Re: [CQ-Contest] Self-spotting explanation from CQWW blog

To: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self-spotting explanation from CQWW blog
From: Matt NQ6N <matt@nq6n.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 13:10:58 -0500
Spotting makes some of the skills required to contest and work DX less
useful, but it makes other skills more useful.  Knowing that the station at
the other end has a packet pileup helps me determine how/where to call,
timing, etc.

Also, since most stations see spots before they are workable (before
propagation has reached their QTH) I'd argue that spots help reinforce
propagation knowledge and allow new hams to learn it more quickly but do
not replace it.  Now, it's possible to sit on the frequency occupied by DX
on top band and listen to the signal slowly become audible as the gray line
moves across Europe.

Without spotting, the ham would have to be tuning at just the right moment
during a peak to realize there was a station transmitting.  While the same
understanding will eventually be gained, spotting accelerates it but does
not remove the need to understand propagation.

On the subject of self-spotting, sometimes I turn on my skimmer node during
a big contest weekend.  I do this to help contribute to the coverage of the
RBN for local and regional stations whose signals might not always be
strong enough to result in a quick spot by non-regional skimmers on the low
bands.

Does my motive make running my skimmer a self spotting violation for
stations in my region?

I'd also argue that the RBN makes it easier for a non big-gun station to
get and keep a run frequency during a contest. The big gun station will be
20+ dB louder and is far more likely to be casually spotted by someone
tuning around the bands.  But the mid-level station may be harder to
hear/work and may struggle to find callers.  With the RBN, as long as
his/her signal can be heard by the network, a spot will go out and some
callers will trickle in.  If the callers are loud, this will also help
establish the run frequency in the minds of those on neighboring
frequencies.

73,
Matt NQ6N