[CQ-Contest] Attention CQWW SO2R Competitors

To: cq Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>, kr2q@optimum.net, "w4pa >> Scott Robbins" <w4pa@yahoo.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Attention CQWW SO2R Competitors
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 08:06:29 -0600
If you are not a single-op, SO2R competitor, you can probably delete this message...

The current CQWW rules regarding recording of the contest by top competitors states:

"Any single operator entrant (see V.A.1) competing for a top three finish at the (a) World, (b) Continent, or (c) USA levels, must record the transmitted and received audio as heard by the operator for the duration of the contest operation."

Note the phrase "received audio as heard by the operator".

I have always followed this rule, splitting my headphone audio between my headphones and my recording device. When doing SO2R, this means that my transmitted signal is often not present in the recording - the recording contains exactly the audio I am hearing. According to the former CQWW director, who wrote the rule, I have been following both the wording and intent of the rule. If the CQWW committee needed to hear my transmitted signal, they had access to full-band, SDR recordings made by independent, third parties.

I have it on good authority that the current CQWW triumvirate may be planning a change to this rule to require that the transmitted signal be present on the recording, regardless of whether the operator was listening to the transmitted signal. If you feel as I do, that the current rule should not be changed, I urge you to make your opinions known to the current CQWW triumvirate - KR2Q, W4PA, W5OV.

Please feel free to forward this e-mail to others who may be affected.

73,
Steve, N2IC