Re: [CQ-Contest] Attention CQWW SO2R Competitors

To: Ken K6MR <k6mr@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Attention CQWW SO2R Competitors
From: Matt NQ6N <matt@nq6n.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 14:55:01 -0500
I would think that broadband SDR recordings from multiple places around the
world ought to provide enough data to enforce many of the harder-to-enforce
rules.

It would seem an operator-provided recording of TX and RX audio would allow
the operator to defend him/herself from allegations of certain types of
cheating, including some that one could easily be framed for if the only
source of data was SDR recordings.

Some other rule-enforcement approaches that could be added, and a "black
box" device could even be created to make collecting such data easy:

- a continuous audio/video recording of the operating position
- a continuous screen recording of the computer screen(s) in use.
- logs of all TX and RX VFO adjustments and the duration on each frequency
- on-site broadband SDR recording
- logs of all computer keystrokes
- logs of all IP traffic during the contest

But even if all of those were instituted, it's easy to imagine ways someone
could cheat in spite of such extreme measures.

I'm happy that amateur radiosport has been able to exist largely based on
the honor system and the integrity of competitors.  But I think that having
the technology to enforce rules violations can also enhance the sport by
making victory that much more irrefutable.  It's far better to have a top
finisher be accused and vindicated than to have doubt in the community
about the authenticity of a win.

Some of the performances we've seen in the SO2R category border on
super-human, which is a wonderful thing, and (I think) the motivation for
increased scrutiny.

73,
Matt NQ6N