Re: [CQ-Contest] Wireless Headphone System

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Wireless Headphone System
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 10:20:12 -0800
On 12/22/2017 8:24 AM, Joe wrote:
I guess Contesting is not an aspect of this hobby for those with not a lot of money.

Contesting can be enjoyed at many levels. Winning can be VERY expensive. Google to find websites of K3LR, W3LPL, N6RO, 4O3A and take a wild guess at what those antenna farms cost. I started contesting in 1957 with BC459 and ARC5 "Command Sets" for 40 and 80M, a BC348 RX, and a couple of wires. 60 years later, I have a much bigger station (though not in the same league as those listed above). I had fun then and I have fun now.

I use a Yamaha CM500 headset (about $60) for SSB and a Sony MDR7506 (about $100) for CW (the Sony is slightly more comfortable). I've also quoted K6LL's recommendation for a Koss-branded headset that he describes as nearly the same as the Yamaha, at half the cost. Have you priced any Heil products recently? They're not cheap, and I view them as wildly overpriced for what they are. As we say in the world of pro audio about Bose, "better sound through advertising."

73, Jim K9YC