Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW SSB 2017 Effective DQ

To: Scott Mcleman MM3AWD <scottmcleman36@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW SSB 2017 Effective DQ
From: Ria Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 22:34:03 -0500
For the most part, hams are expected to self-police. This hobby is
like that, or at least supposed to be.

I don't think your past actions are irrelevant in the least. It
establishes the fact that you couldn't have been trusted to obey the
rules (and the law). I am amazed that you've never faced any official
sanction from any contest committee for your past actions. Nor from
the FCC (because you illegally operated US stations remotely) nor
OfCom.

Viewed in this context, maybe the past actions have raised some red
flags as to your exceptional QRP result, as they've established that
you are someone who has operated illegally (which is cheating in and
of itself).

Maybe the contest committee just wants to hear what you were doing.

Or maybe they found some discrepancy in your log, such as suspected
log padding and want to take a listen to see if you were actually
working anyone.

Or, it could just be a random audit. Even the IRS does that for tax
returns. Keeps people guessing. The contest committee is on record
that they want to keep people guessing to discourage cheating.

These are just guesses on my end but plausible nonetheless.

I record every contest now, because I might place high or win. Hey,
you never know. The stars could align...

73
Ria, N2RJ