Re: [CQ-Contest] NCJ Article RE: Sweepstakes Change Suggestions

To: "'W0MU Mike Fatchett'" <w0mu@w0mu.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NCJ Article RE: Sweepstakes Change Suggestions
From: "Stephen Bloom" <sbloom@acsalaska.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 09:42:09 -0800
I actually have a nefarious, dastardly scheme to address this.

The CWops group is minting a bunch of new cw operators.  I know some of the
folks on this list do the CWTs and have been hearing higher and higher
"numbers" and a decent number of folks with new or new-ish calls and a few "old
timers" who have dusted off their paddles.  They have a structured training
program and it really works.  For those who aren't aware, their website is
www.cwops.org

The nefarious part (well not really) is, they've never intended on being a
contest club per se, but of course, the "students" get exposed to the CWTs and
more than a few end up with the contest bug.  To the extent you see new cw
contesters at all these days, that is where they are coming from.  I have
encouraged a couple of younger contesters, who already have proven talent on
SSB and RTTY to sign up for their classes.  (They have a "CW Academy" and have
recently started having dedicated "Youth CWA."  The "Prize" when they finish
"Level 3" (which is more or less, conversational competence at 25wpm or so),
will be an expense paid trip to KL7RA to operate during a CW contest.  We also
do slow speed CWTs a few times per year.  Great chance for folks to get their
feet wet.

I would love to see other Multi Op Contest teams do something similar.  If you
have someone who seems to have the knack for contesting, but either doesn't
know code, or doesn't feel confident enough with it, hook them up with the
CWOps people, and then give them a (low rate, low stress) chair for a contest.

73
Steve KL7SB