Re: [CQ-Contest] CW SS: Some thoughts

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CW SS: Some thoughts
From: "Richard F. DiDonna NN3W" <richnn3w@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 15:41:32 -0400
Interesting stuff Tor.  Can we get a plot of the SSB top scores. Obviously a year to year analysis is difficult to do - solar cycles contribute to QSO count increases and decreases, geomag storms on a weekend could do damage to a particular year, etc. Also, a top score won't necessarily correlate activity given that Sweeps is a geographically dependent contest and a lot of hams in certain geographic areas may get on for a period that most benefits that operator and not make his or her way into the top scorer's log.

The 2017 number is definitely down - lowest in a 20+ year period.

One thing that I have noticed is that the competition between PVRC and NCCC is not as heated as it was 8 or 10 years ago.  I think having an additional 50 or 100 stations on from PVRC or NCCC did have an effect of bumping up the numbers.  PVRC numbers are up (107 in 2007 and 138 in 2008), but NCCC numbers are way down.

73 Rich NN3W