Re: [CQ-Contest] 2018 Georgia QSO Party

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 2018 Georgia QSO Party
From: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@ku8e.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 18:08:02 -0400
K9YC wrote :

Hi Jeff,

I've enjoyed working these SE State QSO Parties for years, but last year
may have been my last, thanks to rovers abandoning the higher bands
where I can work them hours before those bands close, and before I can
work them on lower bands. When I raised that issue online, the response
was that they were moving down to work locals. In one of those contest,
K4ZGB was the only rover who continued to work 20 until it died, and I
still managed to work him on 80 later on.

Have suitable changes been made to scoring rules to discourage this
practice? CAQP counts in-state QSOs for CA stations, but not mults.

73, Jim K9YC

Hi Jim,

We also count GA-GA QSO's as only QSO's and not multipliers. Georgia stations get GA as a multiplier (once per mode) if they work someone in state but not each county.

  The multipliers for GA stations are :

    Each USA State and DC, including Georgia (51)
    Each Canadian Province (13)
    DX counts for QSO points only, there are no country multipliers.
    128 possible multipliers. ( count once on each mode - CW and SSB)

So I guess I don't know why GA stations would leave 20 meters early. Maybe the rate just sucks and they go to 40 meters. I know in the case of W4AN/m we go to 20 meters in every county until it's dead. We keep the 20/40 meter Hustler's on the car until 20 meters is gone and then switch them to 80/40 meters.  Not sure who you raised issues with on this? I know the guy who ran it before John and I basically just created a spreadsheet to publish on the web page. I'm not sure if they even checked logs. This has all changed since I became involved. We have a feedback form on the web page at http://georgiaqsoparty.org/ . Any feedback comes directly to K4BAI and I as we are always looking for ways to improve the GQP. We are striving to get to the level of CQP and FQP in popularity.

John and I have a aggressive route to activate a lot of GA counties this year as W4AN/m so I sure hope you are on to work us...

Jeff

--
*Jeff Clarke*
Information Technology Professional