Re: [CQ-Contest] 2018 Georgia QSO Party

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 2018 Georgia QSO Party
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 10:42:20 -0700
On 3/23/2018 3:08 PM, Jeff Clarke wrote:
Not sure who you raised issues with on this?

I raised the issue on this reflector.

On 3/23/2018 7:46 PM, Mike/W5JR wrote:
Getting the non 40m station switched between 80/75 and 20 hasn’t been plausible in past years
with our antenna configuration. I’ll work to add a third antenna to the truck to allow for a
quick switch from 40>20 and 80>20. It would also help the 20>15(10) switch.

Certainly with current sunspot conditions, 15M doesn't make much sense for a mobile, but operating the two adjacent bands that are open (40/20 and 40/80) certainly does. From NorCal, I rarely make an effort to work mobiles on SSB (although I did so very productively W0BH's monumental effort a few years ago).

When one of our stations has to cover 2 bands, and one band has maybe only 5
stations following us, we will spend no more than 5 minutes, preferably much
less, a narrow window. Be ready, hi hi.

Yes, that's the number one rule of working state QSO parties from out of state.

BTW -- W6GJB, W6JTI, and I are planning to activate six OR counties this year for 7QP with three county-line portable setups, following up on prior year operations in UT and NV.  In all cases, we try to concentrate on counties without other operations. We typically spend at least 4 hours at each setup, and W6JTI runs CW mobile in between setups.

73, Jim K9YC