Re: [CQ-Contest] [sysops] RBN Announcement on FT8 Spotting

To: "sysops@dxcluster.info" <sysops@dxcluster.info>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [sysops] RBN Announcement on FT8 Spotting
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 16:47:05 +0000
A couple of thoughts on FT8 in the RBN:

I view the RBN as a multi-purpose tool.  For me, it's critical in contesting (I
like assisted S&P; it might not be as magical as spinning the dial, but rate is
fun all on its own!), it's a valuable tool in DX-award chasing, and it's useful
in monitoring propagation patterns...something I'm particularly interested in
before/during big DXpeditions and before contests.

With a couple of DXpeditions now trying out FT8, and given the volume of
activity on the mode...I think it's OK in principle to keep FT8 in the RBN mix.

However, the RBN won't be a usable tool if it crashes under the added burden of
a bajillion spots.

Breaking out the FT8 spots into a separate feed makes a certain amount of
sense, but perhaps some additional throttling might be appropriate, depending
on how loads develop.  A few ideas:

  *   Does the aggregator attempt to limit itself to only those stations whose
exchanges suggest they might be running?   Propagation data from non-running
stations is interesting, but perhaps that data is expendable if load is an
issue.

  *   Perhaps there might be some value in limiting the number of stations that
can relay FT8 spots, or in throttling the rate at which they can relay those
spots?  If throttling, could there be some logic to prioritize the "most
interesting" spots?

  *   Refusing to accept FT8 spots on "big contest" weekends would make
sense...but I suspect that encroachment of contest modes into the FT8 watering
holes will take care of at least part of that problem naturally.

--
Michael Adams | mda@n1en.org