Re: [CQ-Contest] Sending 'test'

To: "'cq-contest-request@contesting.com'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Sending 'test'
From: "V Sidarau" <vs_otw@rogers.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 18:06:33 -0500
Hello Chris,

1. If there is no trailing TEST, then how would people distinguish a CQ call
from a S&P call?
Look at this:
CQ GM2V GM2V (a CQ call)
GM2V GM2V (you call somebody else).
The only difference is the short CQ in the very beginning. If I miss it, I have
to stop and wait for your next full CQ call to make sure, it is really CQ, and
I don't disrupt your S&P call. As a result, I waste my time, and so do you.
Having heard your TEST in the end, I would call you right away, and instead of
making another CQ call you would already have another QSO conducted.

2. If you call like this:
CQ GM2V GM2V GM2V
Then how do I know WHEN your CQ call is over, if there is no clear "stop" sign?
Are you sending your call once, twice, or more? I simply don't know that and I
have wait not just to the end of your CQ call, but somewhat longer until it
becomes clear, your call is over and I can finally call you. Once again, both
you and me are wasting time.

If you want to make your CQ call shorter, you may better omit the starting CQ
but keep the trailing TEST, instead.
GM2V GM2V TEST would be perfectly fine.

Thanks for all the QSOs.

73,