Re: [CQ-Contest] Sending 'test'

To: "cq-contest-request@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Sending 'test'
From: "Chris Tran GM3WOJ" <gm3woj@christran.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 08:29:49 -0000
Hello all

Thanks for the responses, both on and off reflector.  I’d like to pick up on
Vlad VE3TM’s comment (see below – thanks for the QSOs!)

Hopefully not reopening any previous threads, I rarely operate Assisted, so I’m
very aware that poor / selfish operating by some stations not IDing regularly
makes my Unassisted life difficult.  Our RSGB HF contest rules have the rule
‘You must send your callsign at least every 3rd QSO and no less often than once
a minute’ – the CW WW rules define as Unsportsmanlike conduct ‘Running stations
not identifying in a timely manner (i.e., 1 minute)’   One Zone 40 station was
particularly unsportsmanlike during CQ WW!

This links to Vlad’s point specifically – during the contest – except on Sunday
evening when I was tired or no-one was responding - I would just send (once)
‘CQ GM2V’, listen for about 3s, then ‘CQ GM2V’ again.  I’ve calculated that
this ‘CQ GM2V’ takes about 2.5s to send at 40wpm, so no-one has to wait longer
than 6s to hear both the next CQ and the callsign.

Anyone can operate however they like, but I use these short CQs on our
DXpeditions (a very different scenario of course) and they work well.

73   Chris
GM3WOJ / GM2V

Hello Chris,

1. If there is no trailing TEST, then how would people distinguish a CQ call
from a S&P call?
Look at this:
CQ GM2V GM2V (a CQ call)
GM2V GM2V (you call somebody else).
The only difference is the short CQ in the very beginning. If I miss it, I have
to stop and wait for your next full CQ call to make sure, it is really CQ, and
I don't disrupt your S&P call. As a result, I waste my time, and so do you.
Having heard your TEST in the end, I would call you right away, and instead of
making another CQ call you would already have another QSO conducted.

2. If you call like this:
CQ GM2V GM2V GM2V
Then how do I know WHEN your CQ call is over, if there is no clear "stop" sign?
Are you sending your call once, twice, or more? I simply don't know that and I
have wait not just to the end of your CQ call, but somewhat longer until it
becomes clear, your call is over and I can finally call you. Once again, both
you and me are wasting time.

If you want to make your CQ call shorter, you may better omit the starting CQ
but keep the trailing TEST, instead.
GM2V GM2V TEST would be perfectly fine.

Thanks for all the QSOs.

73,